Proportional Counters by Parallax Research
Parallax has developed its own x-ray detector technology for use in its x-ray fluorescence spectrometers. Parallax manufactures the FPC-100 flow proportional counter and the SPC-100 sealed proportional counter. We may also be able to customize our detector technology to your specific applications and needs, whether it is for microanalysis, XRF, or use in high energy port applications such as accelerators and synchrotrons. Please contact us if you have any questions or would like to discuss your applications with our technical staff.
FPC100 Flow Proportional Counter
Our FPC 100 is used in our WDS instrument, HEXS. The gas flow lines are specially designed for zero or extremely small leak rates – a real advantage for vacuum systems. Our standard proportional counter is the FPC100, described below. Generally, our window is the thinnest and largest available for such applications.
- Unique ultra-thin window for high transmission of soft x-rays
- Very high sensitivity for 75 eV through 8000 eV x-ray energy range
- Large x-ray windows: 1cm or 2cm diameter
- Stainless steel or flexible fused quartz gas flow lines: motion without leakage.
- Uses P10 gas (90% Argon / 10% methane). Other gases upon request.
- Can also operate as sealed gas proportional detector
- Available in UHV compatible: Indium or Gold window seal
- Can be baked out to 60 degrees Centigrade.
- Bias 1700 – 2400 volts
- Optional x-ray concentrator optic reduces incident beam to fit window (<500eV)
- Replaceable anode wires: return detector to Parallax.
FPC 100 Flow proportional counter showing the 22 mm diameter window and gas flow connections. Mounting holes (6-32) are between the two flow connections. Counter ends are sealed with Macor and Torr-Seal. Electrical connection for HV and signal is via the gold connection shown in the center of the Macor end piece.
FPC 100 Flow/Sealed proportional counter configured for UHV showing the smaller (thicker) window and stainless steel flow/fill lines. The counter works best in flow mode but can be operated with a sealed fill of Argon/CO2. Window is sealed with either Indium or Gold gasket.
Dimensions (in inches) of the FPC-100 Flow Proportional Counter with small window. The window clear diameter is .393” (1 cm). The same counter can be made with a window with clear diameter of .866” (2.2 cm).
SPC100 Sealed Proportional Counter
Our sealed proportional counter is useful for 1000ev to 12000 energy range. The Be-window can be up to 8mm in diameter and comes in two thicknesses, depending upon the energy range needed.
- Energy Range: 1750eV – 12000eV with 12um Be – window
- Energy Range: 1000eV – 12000eV with 8 mm Be – window
- Be – window diameter: 8 um maximum
- Bias: 2KV maximum
- Fill Gas: Xe 95% / Methane 5% (others available)
- Body: Stainless Steel
- Seals: Copper for ultra high vacuum
Dimensions in Inches
Parallax: Pioneering New X-Ray Perspective!